Sunday 5 April 2020

A short detour back to Saltmarsh

Hello all!

I've done a fairly good job lately of focusing on finishing miniatures I actually need for games I'm really going to play, which is super odd for me.  Having said that I've had a bit of a wish list in my head of models I either don't need at all, or at least won't need anytime soon.

A while back I was playing in a Saltmarsh game that due to the greatest obstacles any D&D game can face (scheduling and the real world) has been on indefinite hiatus.  In spite of that I've never abandoned the idea that at some point Garkas (my character) and I will get to return to Saltmarsh.

Previously I had painted my PC model; Garkas, as well as a pseudo-dragon and 2 NPC sailors.  Our last session had ended with us freeing both the pseudo-dragon as well as the sea-elf NPC Oceanus.  I had wanted to do up a miniature for Oceanus for some time but was struggling to find an unarmoured elf model with a spear and crossbow (ideally in plastic).  I've mentioned this a few times in the past while looking for other character models but it is often difficult to find models which are heavily armed but lightly armoured.  While browsing WizKids site I found a half-elf monk who basically looked right with the exception of the fact that he had no weapons.  I dug out my trusty Frostgrave sprues, nicked a crossbow and a spear and; voila!  Oceanus!


I'm super happy with how this figure turned out.  The pose looked really cool to me and he looks ready to fight without being in an overly dramatic stance.  It's also another case of adding a PC/NPC model that feels like he'll get re-used multiple times over the coming years.  Having finished Oceanus I'm now thinking about circling back and re-doing my sailor models once I finish my last few Animal Adventures baddies today.

Oceanus and all his bits and pieces came from my Friendly Local Game Store!

-Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment