Saturday 13 November 2021

Eridani Light Horse: Crunch's Cavalry Command Lance

 Well.  It looks like everything old is new again.  If I look back to the early 80s when I first got into gaming there were four pillars of my gaming life; D&D, Car Wars, Fighting Fantasy, and BattleTech.  Of all those games BattleTech was the one I got away from the earliest and stayed away from the longest.  No real reason for that mind you, it just kind of faded into the background and although I'd dabbled in modeling and intent to play it's actually been atleast 16 years since I last rolled dice in anger.

The tail end of 2021 saw my buddy Ash looking for someone to play BattleTech with and I have to confess that for the first time in...well...ever I'm legitimately excited about the BattleTech miniatures available.  Following a series of successful Kickstarters Catalyst Game Labs launched an entire new line of plastic miniatures for their/FASAs flagship game.

The plan is to play through a mini three scenario campaign using the Alpha Strike rules (which everyone who ever liked the look of BattleTech but didn't like the rules should check out!).  To that end I decided to paint a reinforced company (4 lances, 16 total mechs) of Eridani Light Horse.  The Light Horse are an Inner Sphere mercenary company with ties to the original Star League.  I actually played my first game with these models painted in a more stripped down traditional style (basically flat green with no accents) which is closer to the company's actual colour scheme but the models looked really bleak on camera so I decided to circle back adding an accent colour and some highlights.

My company is lead by Captain Horatio Crunch from the cockpit of his Marauder.



The command lance is a bit of a mish-mash of models I wanted to try out and I have to say they all performed admirably in a losing effort.  The Shadow Hawk was a highly flexible quick response unit, the Commando punched WAY above it's weight, and the Trebuchet (which is something of a glass cannon) dealt out a withering amount of damage.



I'm extremely happy with both how the unit performed as well as with how the models looked.  Tomorrow I'll check back in and show off the Pursuit Lance.

Also a reminder to support your FLGS.  My FLGS hooked me up with not only a pile of sweet BattleTech models but also my new lightbox I used to get these pics.



-Jay


2 comments:

  1. -WOW photos look great Jay!
    -Go Alpha Strike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! That light box works GREAT!
      Alpha Strike is definitely the way to go for people who like Battletech models and lore but aren't interested in how granular the classic game play is.

      Delete