Wednesday 19 March 2014

Return to Erebor

The other night I was watching The Hobbit and it suddenly hit me that I never finished my set of Thorin & Company that I started when GW released Escape From Goblin Town over a year ago!

I love these dwarf figures but lately every time I've gamed Lord Of The Rings or The Hobbit it's been using elves so there hasn't been a huge push to finish the dwarves.

Anyway I got back to it and started painting in small batches based on families.  My first go round I had already done brothers Dwalin and Balin as well as Thorin and his nephews Fili and Kili.

Re-watching The Hobbit reminded me how much I liked some of the other dwarves so the first familial group I did was Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.  These guys seem like the comic relief brothers (maybe a Marx brother analogue?) and as miniatures will probably have the least practical applications outside of a Hobbit game but they're great figures and painted up really well.


Next up were Oin and Gloin.  Oin I was pretty quick on although I definitely spent some extra time and effort on his facial hair, but I felt Gloin presented a different set of challenges than the other dwarves.  I felt a need to make Gloin a close match in terms of colour-palette for my earlier Gimli models but still needed him to look like a different character.  In the end I went one shade lighter on the beard and changed his belt colour, other than that they look really similar.


That leaves me with Ori, Dori and Nori and the dwarves will be done!

-Jay

2 comments:

  1. I just finished painting all the dwarves from Escape From Goblin Town. They are a blast! Dori was my favourite, though. The pink / purple / red robe was fun to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Dori (you're right about the robe), just have Ori and Nori and I'm done!

      Delete