Friday 28 June 2019

Review - Grandmother Crookbesom's Book Of Hags

Today I'm taking a look at another new DMsGuild title; Grandmother Crookbesom's Book Of Hags.

Grandmother Crookbesom's is a little bit different from the books I usually get from DMsGuild in that rather than being an adventure or compilation of adventures it is a collection of 13 different unique named hags (or covens of hags in some cases) set in different locales with different motivations and histories to be dropped into an existing game or perhaps to have one-shots built around.

As a toolbox for DMs Grandmother Crookbesom's is a fantastic resource setting up a lot of content that can be used in a variety of ways.  One of the first hags I started planning to incorporate into my current game is Auntie Bumble, a hag with  a confusing and really unique secret that will make my players truly satisfied when they figure her out.  I also immediately adjusted a current adventure I'm running to use Cackling Gundred as the initiator of a minor sidequest.  The contrast for me personally between these two uses; Bumble will effectively be an entire adventure on her own, while Gundred will add some depth and flavour to an existing adventure, showcase the versatility and value of this book.

In addition to the named hags with their various story hooks and encounters there are some new types of hags and some unique magic to provide surprises and fresh challenges for any of your players who have become overly familiar with the cannon of published monsters.

I can highly recommend Grandmother Crookbesom's Book Of Hags for anyone looking to add a dark fairy-tale sensibility to their existing game and it's tremendously good value for money based on the amount of content and hours of play laid out inside for less than a fiver.

Grandmother Crookbesom's Book Of Hags is available now on DMsGuild at https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280395/Grandmother-Crookbesoms-Book-of-Hags?term=grandmother

-Jay

3 comments:

  1. ooooh I hope I get to see some of this in an up-coming game ;>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually thinking about pre-prepping 2-3 one-offs based on this material so I can run them when we have cancellations during our regular game sessions.

      Delete