Friday 23 December 2022

First scenery project for Rangers Of Shadow Deep

 Although there's still a week left in 2022 I'm getting a slightly early start on my planned gaming activity for 2023.  This past year has been a bit of a weird one for me in that while I still really enjoy painting miniatures and playing miniature games it's all gotten a bit stale for me.  I think the main reason for this is that my tastes haven't really changed or evolved much over the past 15ish years so my painting has gotten a bit repetitive.  This combined with challenges around my schedule and personal time have pushed me in what feels like a logical new direction; I'm going to try to play more smaller scale, but more 'complete' games.  By this I mean my current thought is that I'm going to paint far less miniatures in the coming year but build and paint a lot more purpose-built scenery for my games so that things look and feel more complete.  Given the challenges I've had actually getting out and playing games with other opponents my plan is to start off with games that have strong solo play, so my first two sets of projects will be for Rangers Of Shadow Deep (fantasy) and CQB (modern).

My first small project will be for Rangers Of Shadow Deep but will also potentially work for D&D and/or the Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game.



Nest Trees.  The second scenario in the Rangers Of Shadow Deep rulebook requires some 'Nest Trees' which are the homes to some malignant giant spiders.  This is a great example of a scenery requirement in Rangers Of Shadow Deep which almost any player can easily add to their table.  If a player isn't interested in doing a spider themed tree they can easily use either regular unmodified trees or even a counter or cardboard cutout.  For me with my new plan, and also the fact that I like haunted forests as a game setting I decided to take some diorama trees and add; eggs, webs, and some partial corpses.







I think I went a bit too heavy on the web but overall I'm pretty happy with how these turned out.  For anyone wondering why I've started with the scenery for the second scenario its simply because I need a slightly larger space to build and photograph my intended scenery for the first scenario but I'm REALLY excited about getting to work on it.

Hopefully this is a new and fresh direction that will generate some fun new projects for me.

Thanks for checking in.

-Jay


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing CQB terrain and hearing about your solo games, Jay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping by March/April you'll be able to "see" my solo games of CQB.

      Delete