Sunday 3 December 2017

Advent Calendar Day-3

Skeleton
(couldn't put off the undead any longer)

Today I'm doing up the newest in a long (never-ending?) line of additions to my undead army; the humble skeleton.

Although animated undead have existed across fantasy stories forever I think I'm a product of my generation in that my first recollection of a skeleton that really stuck with me was Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion animated skeletons from his films based in mythology.
In the D&D games I've run over the years my players have traditionally found skeletons and zombies to be a truly alarming monster to encounter not because they are powerful (they certainly aren't) but because they begin to dread what greater undead creature might be lurking giving life to these mindless drones.



Although I already owned a ton of skeleton figures I had to get the Shadespire Death starter when it came out due to how unique and characterful the skeletons in the box looked.  This guy stood out to me as a piece I could both use to simply put a 1HD undead model on the table and into my game as well as being visually an extremely interesting model that would appeal to my players.

What do you think?  Is a new take on an old model appealing to most of you or do you prefer the feel of a "classic" model that brings you back to an earlier sense of gaming nostalgia?

-Jay

2 comments:

  1. Both are great. The classic skeli is good. But I do like the new shadespire ones. I like the ragged armour and torn cloths. I also really like skelis with coffin lid shields

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you need more let me know.

      I think I still have about 100 of those coffin-lid/shields in my bitz box.

      Delete