Saturday 5 January 2019

One-shot PCs

Over the holiday season I was able to squeeze in one gaming session playing Winter's Splendor a D&D one-shot available on DMsGuild.

It was an eleventh hour game put together outside of any regular gaming campaign so I invited my players to create new characters specifically for use in this one-shot adventure.  All three players chose to make characters that they wouldn't normally play (as one-shots are great opportunities to test-drive character concepts), this meant some new models.  Andrew provided his own Half-Orc Monk model and I made figures for Grant and Adam.

Grant decided on a Kenku Rogue.  Kenku are bird-men, Reaper and Darksword both make suitable models but neither were immediately available on short notice.  I ended up using a Frostgrave soldier body with the head from a Games Workshop Gryph-hound.  My putty work around the hood area didn't turn out exactly how I had hoped but in a pinch it worked.

Adam was playing a Goblin Trickery Cleric armed with a crossbow.  I was a bit surprised to discover that somewhere along the way I had used all my Night Goblin miniatures so I didn't have the pool of figures I thought I did. Having said that I still had a few of the excellent WizKids Pathfinder Goblins laying around.  I chopped the arms off and replaced them with a set of crossbow arms from the Frostgrave soldiers sprue.  The existing hood and cloak made it fairly easy to hide my putty-work on the arms.  Adam requested a festive holiday colour-scheme so some bright red and green with white trim later and we're ready to roll.

The game was fairly short (completed in roughly 3 hours) and featured some interesting problem solving along with a few interesting combat encounters (more on those tomorrow).
For anyone looking for a fun quick easy to run adventure I can highly recommend Winter's Splendor.

-Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment