Tuesday 9 July 2019

And now for something completely different

When it comes to Dungeons & Dragons I DM a lot of games but don't get to play as a Player Character all that often.  What this always seems to lead to for me is that when I'm told I'm going to actually play in a game I end up making tons of different characters in the run up to the game until I actually decide which one I'm going to play.  This is effective a new chapter one in the latest version of that story.

I'm currently prepping to run Ravenloft II: The House On Gryphon Hill as a 5e adventure for a group of friends but after we conclude that adventure my buddy Darren is running a group of us through Tales Of The Old Margreve by Kobold Press.  I've never played a game set in Midgard before so initially I assumed I'd just be making a character out of the Player's Handbook but once I got my hands on the Midgard Heroes Handbook and the Margreve Player's Guide I realised there were tons of character options that are unique to the setting and would let me play something I'd never played before.  I'm currently juggling between three character choices but while I'm deciding I started painting and got my first potential character done.

In D&D I usually play a human character as most of the other PC races don't really interest me all that much, but in Midgard you can play a humanoid bear...YOU CAN PLAY A HUMANOID BEAR!  In addition in the Margreve book there are some additional Barbarian options specifically for Bearfolk Barbarians (Bearbarians?).  On top of all that the Midgard book also has improved rules for great-axes.  So just to be clear, I can play a raging humanoid bearman with an axe that can cleave through my opponents weapons.
The strangest part of this whole thing might be that not only does Reaper make a miniature for that, but as it turns out I already had one sitting waiting to be painted.  For the life of me I can't remember what I ever would have gotten this for in the first place.

So this might be my Margreve character but amazingly there are a few other options that are just as unique and interesting so this guy may sit on a shelf if I decide on a different concept.

-Jay

3 comments:

  1. WOW, this model is perfect. It completely exudes the theme of the Margreve campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel torn between a Bearbarian and Warlock who's patron is the old woods.

      Delete
  2. hmmm tough call. Both sound perfect for the theme of the campaign.

    ReplyDelete