Monday 15 July 2019

Bone Devil and my first test of Citadel Contrast paints

I'm bouncing back and forth between a few projects right now but as I'm able to get my hands on more assorted fiend miniatures I want to keep churning them out ahead of Descent Into Avernus so I'm ready in September.  The other opportunity I've been looking for is the right project to try the new Citadel Contrast paints on.  More on that in a bit.

The Bone Devil is a really neat miniature with some interesting proportions.  The Bone Devil has a wide base (he's standing on a 50mm base here), and is quite tall at about 150% the height of a human sized miniature (not including the wings).  Having said all that being skeletal it is also quite thin, so the model is tall and broad but not heavy-set.
I quite like this miniature as it looks really different from anything else I have, including other larger skeletal models.  I've never actually used a Bone Devil in a game before so I'm excited about trying one out, and once again I'm adding to my slowly growing collection of fiends.

On the subject of the Contrast Paints I have mixed feelings.  If you're an inexperienced painter or someone who is short on painting time then this is the product for you.  It builds in some gradient colour and effectively does the job of three coats of paint (base + wash + highlight) in one coat.  Where I was a bit underwhelmed shouldn't have been a surprise, it was the fact that the paint pooling in low areas and recesses created some uneven looks in a few places.  To be fair, more practise with these paints and/or spending some time doing additional touch-ups and highlights would easily offset that.  Going forward I think I'll use these as a time saver but will definitely invest more time and effort into cleaning up after the Contrast coat.

There you have it; new model, new paints, good times!

-Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment