Friday 17 April 2020

A long overdue return to the wateland

It's been a while.  It seems like not that long ago two different flavours of post-apocalyptic gaming were  my main miniatures focus; zombies, and Fallout or Fallout inspired games.  Gears shifted, things changed and Fallout had been left behind for what seems like over a year now.  Two things have changed that in the past few weeks.  First my buddy Andrew wants to get back to playing This Is Not A Test when we're all allowed to go outside and stand within 6 feet of each other again, and secondly I've been playing some Fallout 4 and it's gotten me excited about the look and feel again.

Deciding I would paint some new models I pulled out the copy of Fallout by Modiphius I got when it was initially released, took a deep breath, and finally started working on those models,  For anyone who doesn't remember I was super excited about Fallout leading up to this game's release, but then once I had it (the version with vinyl figures) in my hands I was super disappointed in the state of the warped bases.  I decided to push past that feeling and simply chop the bases off and re-base the figures.  While waiting for the primer to dry I flipped through the rulebook and had also totally forgotten that Fallout included rules for solo play, so this also meant I'd be able to get some games in during the current lockdown.  So although I'm ultimately painting the 'survivors' to use in my This Is Not A Test game, I decided to start off by painting the Super Mutants as they will be my AI force for Fallout.

The two player starter comes with three Super Mutants and two Super Mutant Hounds.  I decided to do the hounds first, and hopefully will get the actual Super Mutants done this weekend.






I still need to do some cleanup around the eyes (I'm starting to feel like that could be a copy-paste comment in every blog entry lately) but overall I'm happy with how the hounds turned out.  They have a lot of great texture and one thing I didn't even realize until I started painting them is how much more feral and savage these look for not only having huge sharp teeth but a lot of exposed gum area to really give the impression that they're snarling.

I'm looking forward to batch painting the Super Mutants next and then it will be the survivors one at a time.  Once I get those done and have a chance to do some solo play I'll probably circle back and review the game itself as well.

And just a friendly reminder that Fallout Wasteland Warfare and many other games are available from your friendly local game store!

-Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment