Thursday 2 August 2018

Grimjack The Half-Orc Fighter (WIP)

I've had a few things on my desk waiting for attention for a few weeks but real life has decided to intrude and keep me from hobbying.  Today after a decidedly not fun day I decided to take a break from real life for a couple of hours and work on a conversion I've been needing for an upcoming D&D game.

As I mentioned in my previous posts about Garkas and Rolf I've been trying some variations on characters I haven't played before.  Garkas and Rolf were different character classes than I had played previously, today's addition is a very familiar class (the Fighter) but is a race I've never played before (Half-Orc).  I think one of the main reasons I've never played a Half-Orc before is because I game with miniatures and I've never really found any of the Half-Orc miniatures appealing.  A recent change in my model collection that has made the standard for Orcs in my D&D games the pig-faced orcs of old-school D&D, based on that I decided to reconsider and just add plain old Orc miniatures to my consideration to be used as Half-Orcs.

A couple of years ago a friend gave me an enormous pile of Reaper Bones models.  Most of the ones I have used so far have been for Zoe's various painting projects.  I chose an Orc Warrior for my new Half-Orc Fighter.

There were a few elements of the original model that didn't really work in my head for a player character model existing in 'civilised' parts of the world.  All of the armoured parts of the model including the shield were covered in spikes.  I took all of those off which was surprisingly more difficult than I expected.  The Bones material didn't take to filling at all so after snipping off the raised areas  I had to make multiple careful passes with a knife to smooth out the surfaces.  After that I snipped off the sword the model came equipped with because it was styled like a long cleaver and seemed a bit too feral for polite society.

Once I was done with the subtractions I started the additions.  With my last few characters I've gotten it into my head that adventurers don't look right without backpacks to carry their treasure in.  The problem with this model was that it was far too big for any of the backpacks I actually had.  I sculpted on straps and made a very simple bag out of putty.  At the time I took these photos the putty had not completely cured so I still need to get back to it with the knife and file to even it out a bit.
The second addition was a more conventionally styled (if gigantic) sword.  The sword is not from a model kit, it's actually from a Brick Warriors Warrior Pack which is a third party LEGO accessory pack.


I'm hoping to get up a bit early tomorrow and clean up my putty work before I leave for work and then get some paint on Grimjack in the evening.

Wish me luck!

-Jay

1 comment: