Sunday 3 February 2019

A holy crusade!

Yet another D&D game and yet another fairly common character type I didn't previously have a model for.  This is becoming a theme...

For my latest foray a party of brave adventurers has set off into the Sunless Citadel.  The Sunless Citadel occupies an interesting place in the history of published D&D adventures.  It was actually the first adventure published by Wizards Of The Coast for their (at the time) new and groundbreaking edition of D&D; 3rd edition.  What makes this interesting to me is that at the time I release I was a lapsed D&D player so I never actually played The Sunless Citadel but for an entire generation of players it occupies a similar place in D&D mythology to Keep On The Borderlands for my generation.  The Sunless Citadel is one of the adventures featured in the Tales From The Yawning Portal anthology and after 20ish years and 2.5 editions of the game later I'm finally playing through it.

As a function of playing with a small group of players we're each playing 2 characters.  When I've been asked to play this way in the past I've always struggled a bit as a role-player because I find that I invariably invest more in one character than the other, or I end up playing 2 characters who aren't necessarily that compatible in the interest of filling out roles in party.  This time out I decided to go into character creation fully intending the 2 characters to be friends/colleagues/companions who's goals and motivations would be in sync.  I worked through a couple of ideas but settled on a Cleric and Paladin of Trithereon (Greyhawk's Diety of Liberty and Retribution).

Dacius the Just is my human cleric and is proof positive that my luck with dice is absolutely wretched.  Even using the 4d6 drop the lowest character generation method the highest stat I rolled was a 14 and I still somehow ended up with a 6.  Being human mitigates that a bit as every single one of Dacius' stats got a 1 point bump (I'm still stumbling around with a 7 Dexterity mind you).  For Dacius' figure I wanted a moderately armoured human with a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon.  I used one of the Bolton Cutthroats from A Song Of Ice And Fire.  I think the figure works well for D&D but oddly the entire Cutthroat box (other than the Dreadfort Captain) look a little small next to the other A Song Of Ice And Fire miniatures.



Amon Flamecreed is my Tiefling (first Tiefling character model for me) Paladin.  I really wanted to make a Paladin that was different from the usual 'knight in shining armour' and making him a Tiefling with a fiendish heritage fit perfectly.  Amon was slightly luckier for me with the dice ending up with a 15 and nothing lower than a 10.  Amon is still a fairly classic sword and board warrior-type but 1 session in and his darkvision has already made him vastly more useful than a human with overall better stats would have been.  Amon is a Reaper Bones model and simultaneous showcased the best and worst about that line for me.  His tail, sword and horns are thin and narrow but the Bones vinyl is very resilient to bending and breakage, his face however is almost completely devoid of detail and he's basically noseless.  Having said that I'm happy with how he turned out and I think he'll continue to be extremely versatile and useful in The Sunless Citadel.



I've got a few monsters to do next but doing a Tiefling, a Kenku and a Dragonborn in the past few months has got me thinking about what other PC character races I should try to get some models for.
Anybody know where I can find a Firbolg for D&D?

-Jay






No comments:

Post a Comment