Tuesday 12 February 2019

Up On A Soapbox - A Problem That Can't Be Ignored

I just did something that I couldn't have foreseen a need to do when I started blogging. 

I just deleted 3 of my own posts.

This blog has a VERY small following (35 followers and roughly 50-100 hits per day) my words are a drop in the ocean that is the internet, very few people are listening to what I have to say, but that doesn't mean no one is listening.
I've always tried to follow 2 key rules about my blog entries when talking about; products, people and game companies.
1.  Don't say anything positive unless I truly believe what I'm saying.  If even one person respects my opinion then I owe it to them to be honest and transparent and not promote something that I don't believe in.
2.  Don't say anything negative unless I truly believe what I'm saying.  Again I don't want to lash out in a moment of anger or disappointment and unfairly cause someone to feel slighted.

In light of some very serious accusations that have surfaced in the past few days I have deleted my 3 posts referencing (positively) A Red And Pleasant Land.  The author of that book has been accused of some frankly horrific and unacceptable behaviour towards his former partner.  I don't claim to know what happened between 2 people I've never met but I'm incredibly uncomfortable having content connected in any way to that individual with my name on it.

I try to keep gaming COMPLETELY separate from my political or social views as I personally use gaming as an escape from some of the grim details of the "real world" but this is one of those situations where silence and complicity only benefit the abuser.

This will be my only post about this.  I don't want to engage in any internet drama or get into any salacious details.  I just want to close with a simple thought.

If you see something wrong, stand with the victim.

-Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment