Back to the D&D "classics" today. I got my 2 Rust Monsters from Otherworld Miniatures finished.
When I first got into role-playing I started with the old D&D Basic Set 'Red Box'. The player's guide in there kicked off with a solo adventure where the big baddy towards the end was a Rust Monster. Ever since then I've felt that the Rust Monster was a fairly iconic D&D Monster even though I don't recall it making a single appearance in any other published TSR novels or adventures.
After looking at the D&D pre-paints I had on hand of the Rust Monsters (which were WAY too small to use) and consulting the Monster Manual I found that Rust Monsters are meant to be a mostly tan colour, honestly that look just didn't work for me. Instead I decided that if Rust Monsters eat rust (basically) they should be more rust-coloured.
I started off by coating the entire model in a thin coat of Mephiston Red (mostly so it would settle in the crevices) and then dry-brushed the entire model Mournfang Brown. After that a wash of Agrax Earthsahde and once that was dry I went back and applied a second wash of Baal Red on just the torso. Picked out the details and then they're done!