Project Scrapheap: Prelude
One of the tough things about the miniature hobby is that sometimes you like the figures but you don't like the game, sometimes you like the game but you don't like the figures, and sometimes you just find yourself a victim of your own shortsightedness and have to make do.
A couple of days ago a friend of mine invited me to join him for some Hordes/Warmachine gaming. Awhile back I played a ton of Warmachine using my Cryx army and I really liked the game. After awhile though the group I was playing with lost interest and we transitioned into some other games instead. Having been bitten by the Warmachine bug again I had one immediate problem; all my painted Cryx stuff it out on loan to another friend and I won't be able to get it back in time to start playing. The secondary problem is having played the game before and dropped it I'm hesitant to invest in a whole new army. So the solution is to speed-paint a new army using the odds and sods I have kicking around from my last run at the game.
Is this a good idea?
Let's weigh the pros and cons.
1. I've got a pile of stuff just kicking around that I might as well get painted anyway.
2. When it's done and I get off my lazy butt and pick up my existing Cryx stuff I should have around 90 points worth of models for a big game.
3. It will be the first time I've ever built an army and felt like it was free! (yeah, I know I actually paid for this stuff at some point but that was awhile back)
1. All of this stuff for one reason or another didn't make the cut (for a variety of reasons) to make it into my army the first time around.
2. As it really is all odds and ends it's not designed to work together so I won't be able to get off the combos that seem to be what Warmahordes is all about.
3. I have a bunch of really cool Mercenary stuff that I won't be able to use because it's not Cryx friendly.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter because I'm going to do it anyway. So what will be in my force?
Skarre Queen Of The Broken Coast
2 units of Bane Thralls (using Confrontation Dirz figures)
This will give me 15 of the 35 points I need. I'm going to keep digging through my backlog looking for other stuff I may have that can fit in there but ultimately I'm assuming I'll have to buy 1 more Warjack, other than that I'm determined the rest will be made out of what is on hand.
The goal is to have 35 points done by the Monday after next, which gives me 13 days, shouldn't be a problem (assuming I can find some more models!). So at this point I have to assume you can all see why I'm calling this "Project Scrapheap".
Incidentally I would really appreciate any advice any of you would like to offer in the comments section on how to use the figures I ultimately end up choosing and painting, I said I played alot, I never said I played well.
Wish me luck!