Friday 3 January 2014

"Iconic" Fighters

Back when Wizards Of The Coast first launched their (at the time) new D20 version of Dungeons & Dragons one of the somewhat subtle concepts they introduced was the branding of "iconic" characters.  Basically the idea was that anytime an illustration or a game play example called for a human fighter they would use the same human fighter thus creating a sense of continuity over a broad range of relatively unconnected material.  This idea has since been ported over to Pathfinder where the same 4 characters can be seen over and over again and are now the 4 starting PCs in the awesome Pathfinder Beginner Box.

First up let me just say I really like this idea.  It's not a game play mechanic and it's not a real world-building sort of thing but it almost creates an unspoken narrative and I like the fact that it feels like a throwback to 1st edition D&D when Gary Gygax's original PCs all got featured in the Rogues Gallery supplement.

As I close in on my first Pathfinder game for 2014 (just have to set a date) I realised that I would have to get a male human fighter miniature ready for one of my players to use.  I immediately got out the fantastic Valeros Iconic Human Fighter figure Reaper did for Pathfinder.  The player in question actually played Valeros about a year ago when we played through the Beginner Box but at the time we used the Pathfinder pre-painted miniature.


Valeros is a great miniature armed with two melee weapons and a bow as well as wearing a fairly generic set of medium/heavy armour.  I went with a fairly earthy colour pallet as Valeros doesn't really seem like a flashy kind of adventurer. 

Painting up Valeros and reflecting on the "iconic" character idea got me thinking back to D&D and I got out my old figs to re-base and touch up Regdar the "iconic" human fighter of D&D 3rd edition.  Regdar has a pretty special place in my miniature collection as he has been re-based four times now and represented five different characters.  He's just a great generic fighter figure who none-the-less has some fantastic detailing and character about him.


Looking at the two figures together it made me feel like I've got the male human fighter angle covered without having a massive assortment of figures.  It also made me think that every player and GM should have two figures like this in their collection.


Which do you like better?  Sword & shield or two-weapons and bow?

-Jay

7 comments:

  1. ... since blogger ate my earlier comment...

    Still prefer the two-weapon wielding model. Dunno why to be honest, just a knee-jerk reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Valeros is definitely the more visually interesting model, but I think I keep coming back to Regdar because I don't have another sword & shield fighter who looks anywhere near that good.

      Delete
  2. Regdar! Purely because I POURED over the 3rd Ed DnD books, as they were my first foray into roleplaying. I spent years reading about him, and I didn't even know there was a model. I might need to find a full set of them (if it exists). Is there a Lidda?! That was my first character that wasn't a dwarf slayer knock-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan all of the named heroes in the 3rd ed Players Handbook were produced by Wizards Of The Coast as minis.

      They were available in individual blisters and they're were box sets as well.

      Delete
  3. My vote is for Regdar for purely aesthetic reasons. The model has a ton of energy and what is more iconic for a Fighter than Sword and Shield?

    Valeros is all moody tragic hero looking. Regdar is all slay the enemies, ravish the wenches, drink the mead looking. He doesn't worry if that kobold he just slew had a family, or kids. He doesn't pine over the craftmanship of a Treasure chest, he busts the sucker open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that.
      On their own they are what they are but when I put them next to each other I start thinking 'Boromir or Aragorn?' pretty quickly.

      Delete
    2. You know what the right decision is.

      Delete