Sunday 31 July 2016

Please state the nature of the medical emergency

My small but growing force of robots got a new member last night; the Heal-O-Matic for This Is Not A Test by Worlds End Publishing.

The Heal-O-Matic is a medical variant of the Depend-O-Bot that I did a few weeks back and I have to say I'm  very happy with how it turned out.


One of my biggest struggles in the hobby has always been painting things white and after how this went I'm tempted to circle back to my Peace River gears for Heavy Gear.  This time out I primed black and then basically lightly (very lightly) sprayed multiple coats of white on over top, giving each layer time to dry before applying another coat.  Once that was done I thinned down Nuln Oil with Lahmian Medium and went over the whole thing, overbrushing with a dry paint brush to make sure there were no puddles on the surface.  After that I highlighted the original white back up and voila!  It was a lot less work and a lot less frustration than I typically experience painting white, the only downside is that it only works if 75%+ of the model will end up being white, if I wanted to use a similar technique on a model with some white on it I'd have to finally get around to learning how to airbrush.

Next up are some figures for a new game (new to me anyway) set in a steampunk fantasy universe (but don't worry, it still has robots).

-Jay

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting technique. Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I might coin the term "ghetto-air-brushing"
      :)

      Delete