Saturday 10 September 2016

Two more Guardians Of The Galaxy

I'm trying to wrap up my "cosmic" hero team for the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game before the Dark Avengers become available.

For those of you unfamiliar with the modern Guardians Of The Galaxy there have basically been three versions of the team during the Dan Abnett/Andy Lanning run which revitalised the team from it's original run back in the 70s and 80s.

The first version was the team everyone knows from the first movie with; Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Gamora, Drax, Groot, Adam Warlock and Phylla Veil in action with Mantis as their support back at their base on Nowhere.  For  this iteration of the team I finished Drax earlier today.  I've got to say I was pretty indecisive about how to paint Drax bouncing back and forth between a comic book look and the movie look and settling some where in between that truly looks like neither.


Drax's background in the comics is slightly different than the movie.  In the comics Drax was a real estate agent named Arthur Douglas who was killed along with his whole family as collateral damage of Thanos' arrival on earth.  Arthur Douglas was later resurrected and given super powers (immense durability and near Hulk-like strength) for the purposes of destroying Thanos.

The second version of the team  was basically the first team without Warlock (who'd turned evil) but the additions of Bug, Moon Dragon (Drax's daughter) and Jack Flag (a character simultaneously almost completely unknown while being connected to tons of A-list Marvel heroes).

After a final cataclysmic battle against Thanos and Death in the Cancerverse (seriously, I'm not making that name up) the realisation was made the the original Guardians team was made up of whatever 'spare-parts' happened to be lying around and they weren't really the kind of heavy hitters you would expect to actually guard the galaxy.  At that point of team was assembled of some of Marvel's most powerful "cosmic" heroes.  The final team was made up of; Gladiator, Quassar, Beta Ray Bill, Ronan The Accuser and Nova Prime Richard Ryder.

Nova Prime and the Nova Corps are Marvel's version of the Green Lantern and the Green Lantern Corps.  Both forces are cosmically empowered space-cops that travel through the galaxy maintaining order with little to no oversight.


I was really happy with how Nova turned out but I have to admit that once I took a photo with decent resolution his final highlight on his gold armour looks a little chalky.  The funny part is even though I can clearly it in the photo when I look at the model with the naked eye he still looks fine to me and I can't detect the chalkiness at all.  Maybe this is the benefit of getting old and having bad eyesight?  I can convince myself that I'm a better painter than I actually am.

Three figures down, three to go and then I can get to my three separate "are they heroes or are they villains?" forces.

-Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment